The fishing line is such a medium that connects the relationship between anglers and fish. But the process can be hampered because of losing, twisted and curly lines. It happens for several reasons and then it becomes difficult to continue the angling error-free. To get rid of this mess, there is no compromise without knowing the ways how to keep the fishing line tight. All you do just follow a few easy steps.
Many anglers think the right gear and line can defeat that problem. But, I say, no, there exists other gaps too to bring curly line. So, know the actual reasons and ways to face it.
Reasons Why Fishing Line Become Lose or Curly
So, what are the possible causes that create a loose fishing line most of the time? 5 core facts are mentioned below.
The case that I found mostly is in the setup. This curly or loosing are occurred because of unfit attachment of the line with a reel, rod, or others.
Maybe you are a beginner or not an expert to do the setup properly. Sometimes, backward setting also causes this.
So, I will keep the arrangement process on the first behind this error.
Line memory and Age
Too much memory line is highly responsible in this regard. Different brands have different which indicate shapes and retain the capacity of the line. And having lots of memory it retains that non-straight form.
Furthermore, the fishing line has a nature to absorb water or lose its previous shape because of a long time of use like a month or more. That brings the curly or loose line after time. In a word, old-line is also questionable to happen this.
Mistakes on Lures
There have some lure facts that hide behind this. First of all, if you use a very light lure with your strong test line, then there has a high chance to get a loose line. Why? The reason is, that the light lure can’t create much impact on the line to keep straight. As the lure is low weight, their exert forces will be low too. Ultimately, the line will have stayed curly.
Again, sometimes the use of a jig or spinner on the line brings out the twisted line. From there, after a time, it will turn into a loose one too.
Limitation on Reel and Rod
The quality and performance of the reel or other equipment related to the line can be pointed as getting an un-tight experience.
When the bail doesn’t stay in its position, it can offer you a problem. Because of its closing position, it doesn’t have any place to go for tightening the line. And the result is known to you. Furthermore, the wrong drag setting bears enough power to make your line lose.
Again, if you have a reel that can’t provide sufficient gear ratio and offer slow retrieving, then there creates a chance to curl the line.
Current or Wind
Water current and wind are the two very common factors in this situation.
What will happen when you cast with the wind? The wind will keep the lure and line in a flying position and don’t give you the chance to come off the reel. This is occurred because of the resistance in the air and from where you can’t expect a tight line.
Now, what happens to the water current? Casting against the current will take the line and lure towards it. As a result, it will become so tough to keep the line straight.
Tips to Keep Fishing Line Tight
Remembering some points in mind you can deal with this problem perfectly. So, what are those things to do or avoid? Here we go-
1. Do the Setup Process Properly
The first thing that I will recommend to every angler is to be tricky and accurate in the setup process.
As maximum curly errors originate from there, you must pay more attention to it.
For excellent accuracy, you can attach the line with the help of a local shop. As they have a spooling machine and know the original spool form, so you can rely on their perfection without a doubt.
But, if you think, no, I do it myself at home. Then there is no problem yet, just need to apply the sufficient skill. Always remember, when attaching the line on the spool, make sure the level is in an upward direction. By the way, if you haven’t any idea about the setup, then first know the process of fishing line attachment.
2. Keep the Line Memory Minimum
More memory fishing line is cool, but there have disadvantages too. As the memory stays most of the time on the spool, after a time it will provide you curl or a twisted face. As no one will go fishing every day, staying jobless the line can be curled normally. The monofilament line is the most common name in this regard.
So, to minimize the loose level, you have to minimize the memory too. That’s why to choose a type that offers sufficient but low memory.
3. Aware Of Lures Selection
There is a deep relationship between the lure and the line. As I early mentioned, lighter lures are good for line twisting.
So, you should maintain the balance. If the lure is too light, then go for the lighter line. But, if your line is heavy, you can add a small weight or crimp on the lure’s front side. This will help to provide force to stay straight.
Moreover, with the ultralight lure, leave the lure a few feet above. Cause it gets free hanging and falling from a height that helps the line free from twisting.
Now, in the case of multi-hook lures, you need to notice a few matters for better tightening. First of all, take such a strong line that is large and goes with jigs and spinners. And make sure that the lures are stand-in straight position. I think those lure tricks help in tightening.
4. Make Sure the Bail Is in the Right Position
For the starter angler, this matter is almost unknown. And they make the mistake and receive the result.
So, to main the right position, you have to ensure the bail-in open position. Cause this position helps in the tightening process.
5. Ensure Correct Drag Setting
The drag setting indicates the fight of fish and, tells the level of tightness of the line with the reel. So, an accurate setting is much needed.
Now, low or high, which setup one should keep? Well, too tight and too loose aren’t desired as they bring stretching and twisting.
To win in two races at a time, it is recommended to set the drag a bit upper than the system. This setting will allow the fish to exert more force to pull these lines off the reel without happening any curl or loose performance.
6. Look for Quality Rod and Reel
Sometimes, the equipment itself is responsible for creating trouble. The poor performance of the reel can be suffered by you in these conditions.
Like, the lower gear ratio isn’t acceptable when you want to tight line. The higher rear ratio means it reels so quickly. And don’t allow the light fishes to escape with less force. That protects your line from curling. Though more ratio isn’t good in all situations, it works if you want to keep a straight fishing line.
In the last, like that feature, you should be aware of choosing the quality and right fishing gear.
7. Deal the Wind or Upstream Perfectly
Strong wind and water currents are normal appearances while you are fishing.
To handle those, the more effective way is to increase the lure weight. Sometimes the lower rod also shows its benefits. Again, 45 degrees sharper casting is also beneficial in this regard. But you search easy solution, then change your position and make the casting towards the wind.
The same trick is applied to water current too for tightening the line.
Shortly, to win the wind and upstream obstacle, use weighty lures or cast towards the current and wind.
8. Replace the Old Line
Finally, if no tips come as result, then the last hope is to change the line.
According to my previous words, the loose character depends on the line quality and age too. Because of frequent uses, the line gradually absorbs the water and, retains a shape that causes a curl.
So, the last way is to replace the old one with a new one having low memory and quality that will provide a tight fishing line.
Frequently asked questions
How do I keep my fishing line from unraveling?
To keep your fishing line from unraveling, you can follow these tips:
- Properly spool your reel: Make sure to spool your reel properly by following the manufacturer’s instructions. This involves threading the line through the guides on the fishing rod and tying it securely to the spool.
- Use a quality fishing line: A high-quality fishing line is less likely to unravel and will last longer.
- Use a leader: A leader is a separate length of line that is attached to the end of your main fishing line. This can help to prevent the line from unraveling, particularly when fishing in rocky or rough conditions.
- Avoid overfilling your reel: If you overfill your reel, the line can become twisted and tangled, which can cause it to unravel more easily.
- Store your fishing line properly: When you’re not using your fishing line, store it in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. This will help to prevent the line from deteriorating, which can cause it to unravel more easily.
By following these tips, you can help to keep your fishing line from unraveling and ensure that you’re ready to cast your line at any time.
How do you put a tight line on a fishing reel?
To put a tight line on a fishing reel, follow these steps:
- Choose the right fishing line: Select a fishing line that is appropriate for your fishing reel and the type of fishing you’ll be doing. The line should be strong enough to handle the weight of the fish you’re targeting, but also thin enough to cast easily.
- Attach the line to the reel: Tie the line to the reel spool using a knot that is strong and secure. There are many different types of knots you can use, such as the arbor knot or the uni knot. Be sure to tighten the knot well.
- Spool the line onto the reel: Hold the spool of fishing line in your hand and begin winding it onto the reel. Make sure to keep the line taut as you wind it onto the spool. You can do this by holding the line between your thumb and forefinger as you reel it in. Make sure the line is spooled evenly across the width of the reel.
- Maintain tension on the line: As you spool the line onto the reel, make sure to maintain tension on the line with your fingers. This will help to prevent the line from becoming twisted or tangled.
- Fill the reel: Continue spooling the line onto the reel until it is full. You want the line to be close to the edge of the spool but not overfilled.
By following these steps, you can put a tight line on your fishing reel, which will help to ensure that your casts are accurate and your fishing experience is enjoyable.
How do you prevent line twist when spooling?
Preventing line twist when spooling is important because line twist can cause tangles, knots, and other problems that can ruin your fishing experience. Here are some tips to prevent line twist when spooling:
- Use the right spooling technique: Use the proper spooling technique when loading your line onto the reel. One effective technique is to run the line through a guide on your fishing rod and then tie it to the spool. Close the bail and begin turning the handle to spool the line onto the reel. Make sure to keep tension on the line with your fingers to avoid twisting.
- Avoid twisting the line: When spooling, make sure the line is going onto the spool without any twists. Check the line periodically as you spool it to make sure it isn’t twisting or knotting.
- Keep the line taut: Keeping the line taut as you spool it will prevent slack and twists from developing. You can do this by holding the line between your thumb and forefinger as you reel it onto the spool.
- Use a line conditioner: A line conditioner can help reduce friction between the line and the guides, which can lead to twisting. It can also help the line flow off the spool more smoothly.
- Use a swivel or leader: If you’re using lures or baits that cause the line to twist, consider using a swivel or leader to prevent the twisting from transferring to your main line.
By following these tips, you can prevent line twist when spooling, which will result in a smoother casting experience and less frustration on the water.
The more patience you can hold, the more good fishing experience you will achieve. And fishing isn’t free from troubles, dealing with it you need to go ahead.
This article on how to keep the fishing line tight I think so effective to remove your headache. So, correct your mistakes, follow the essential task and get a strong and straight-line experience.