The rug is an essential and relaxing item for outdoor trips like camping. But if it fails to handle water resisting, still it will be worthy? Water, rain, and moisture are common matters in outdoor conditions. And you have to set up the plan before overcoming the problem whether it is a rug, tent, or that. Here, knowing the ways how to waterproof an outdoor rug not only provides comfort and water-free services but also will keep the item well for a long time deal.
And, to make this thing much easier, the process and associated terms are taking place in our article.
What Items Need for Waterproofing the Rug?
Before entering the system, it’s required to know what you have to keep to complete the process. Well, it will be good for you to hear that the list is too small and you don’t need to spend more. Here we go-
- Rug: First of all, purchase an ideal one which is good in different angles to use outdoor.
- Rug Pad: A pad is also required which does well in terms of water protecting and cushioning. Different shapes and design pads you will find on Amazon.
- Fabric: A piece of waterproof fabric also needs for attaching to the bottom.
- Spray: The last one is a spray that creates a surface by coating a thin layer. The list of ideal rug sprays is given on the Amazon page.
4 Steps to Waterproof Outdoor Rug
So, the answer to the awaiting questions “can you waterproof a rug? And how?” are briefed on there. The steps are mentioned below.
1. Stick Waterproof Fabric to the Bottom
Moisture or water whatever you call attacks more on the bottom part of the rug. Cause it adheres with the surface.
So, in the beginning, the bottom part needs to be waterproof. For that, first, collect a piece of fabric and cut it to the size of the rug. Though it will be on the backside, there is no worry about how the fabric look and its shape.
Now, set the fabric up with the rug part which is facing the waterproof side. Carpet or tape can be used for the sticking. That’s how you can waterproof the back part.
2. Placing the Rug Pad
Pad is another needy one to place under the rug.
Many people ask why they require a pad while there has waterproof fabric. Well, the reasons behind on some points.
First, you can’t expect grip or traction from the fabric. And grippy is an essential requirement in terms of an outdoor rug. Second, for extra comfort, you can’t rely on only the sticking part.
Pad does not only provide a good grip against slip but also offers to cushion for its thick design.
So, placing a pad can be an essential or optional one according to one’s wish.
3. Spray the Upper Part for Waterproofing
Water not only enters the rug from the wet ground, sometimes rain or moisture can be contributed from the upper. So, it is also crucial to waterproof the front side too.
Alright, in the starter, you have to have a good fabric seal spray. Before spraying, two things should keep in mind. One- you don’t require to spray heavy, two- make a test spray to observe the color changing.
Okay, now do the spray and create a thin layer of coating on the front surface. Though color change doesn’t happen, it’s good to check. Well, after the spraying, keep it a few hours to dry properly.
Then after the first drying, get ready for the second innings. Do the same process and make another coating layer. After that, again place the rug for proper dryness.
That’s all about the upper water resisting.
4. Observe the Result
It needs a minimum of 1 day to be ready for use. So, after that time, it is time to check whether everything runs perfectly or not.
First, install it on the wet ground to test the lower service as it is capable or not repelling the water. You can check the upper with anything related to water like beverage, moisture, or else.
Secondly, look for comfort and slip-resistant nature. How it behaves with the surface, how the cushioning level is, etc things are important to consider.
Those are the main ways to check the effectiveness of waterproof outdoor mats.
And those are such 4 steps to getting a water-repelling outdoor rug.
Default or Custom Waterproof Rug: Which One Is Good?
It’s very normal to awake the question “why not purchase a water-resistant rug instead of a self-made one?” Well, if you want to go with the pre-made then yeah there is no trouble. But the reasons why I suggest customizing may be understood you the real fact.
- Default waterproof rugs mainly come at high prices which isn’t ideal for beginners or people with a low budget. In this term, normal rugs and items that need for the process don’t cross the budget of the default.
- The rug is water-resisting and made with rubber material. For that, there notices a shortage of well look designs. But on the other one, there have pleasant designs.
- The water-ready rug becomes weak on water-repelling over time. And after a time, then there will be no way without waterproofing it.
The only con is you have to take a little hassle to complete the task. So, if you haven’t any problem with the process, then I will tell customizable rug will be well fitted for you.
As you see, there needs hardly any effort to make your rug water ready. It’s just a matter of little work. So, I hope you don’t suffer from any trouble on the matter of how to waterproof the outdoor rug.
However, you can still choose the pre-ready waterproofing rug and there is also no problem at all.
But to feel a different experience and long-lasting service I prefer custom-made options. So, collect your apparatus, follow the steps and share with us a successful waterproofing journey.
- How to Repair Pop-Up Camper Canvas?
- How To Cool A Tent Without Electricity (13 Smart Ways)
- Best Outdoor Rug for Camping (Top 10)
- How to Keep Tarp from Flapping?
- How to Keep Air Mattress from Deflating Overnight
- What Size Tarp for Camping?
- How to Attach Sleeping Bag to Backpack- 5 Solutions
- How to Insulate a Tent for Winter Camping (13 Hacks)