Frequent saying from different persons those you might hear, like “Air mattress is best for camping or outdoor”, “Air mattress has a harmful effect”, “It’s not ideal for long uses”. Like that there are many controversies about sleeping on an air mattress where people can’t find a final destination. So, what’re the benefits of sleeping on an air mattress? And is it disadvantages too? Well, as I tasted the experience of using an air mattress both indoor and outdoor, from my understanding view I will try to explain what pros you can get from it or what the limitation you may face.
What is an Air mattress?
An air mattress or air bed is a sleeping material that is inflatable and usually made of plastic, rubber, or PVC. It is designed to remember indoor and outdoor uses.
Benefits of Sleeping on Air Mattress While Camping
Air mattress is beneficial in many aspects. Let’s know the benefits of sleeping on that smart one.
1. Ultra Comfortable
The most common benefit of an air mattress is, that it is built with comfortable material and is flexible. Some mattress offers extra softness for your peaceful night. Especially, when you will be camping, comfortable sleep is very much required. But, it is sometimes hard to manage a soft bed manually. In that condition, the softness of an air mattress can be an easy solution for you. So, the neediest thing that can bed could have is comfort level and the air mattress does it properly.
2. Back Pain Relief
Whenever it comes to sleeping in bed, back support is a vital part there. An air mattress is perfect in that field. Almost all types of air mattresses come with the facilities of back support. Camping or indoor, whatever areas you want to use, it works as a good pain protector of your back. Just buy the right one, adjust the right firmness, and go for a peaceful sleep. Your back pain is automatically safe here. Some claim that those aren’t good for a bad back. And this can happen when you go for a cheap and low-quality item.
You May Read: Tips to Avoid Back Pain While Camping
3. Desire Firmness
To keep all the user’s own desires, it offers one of the coolest features and that is custom firmness. Does it seem too high? Want to reduce the level? Not big. It’s in your hand just press the pump option. For more softness, all you need to decrease some air. So it looks like a remote control bed that anyone can easily operate. That adjustable firmness would be more effective when you get guests using it as different people have different preferences. So they can adjust the bed the way they need. In terms of camping, the feature is useful too.
4. More Shareable Space
Shareable space means you can get enough space there to share with your partner, family, or friends. Camping or home, for both uses you will get the benefit of more space. Most air bed builds with more weight capacity. And that means you needn’t worry if you require to share your bed with other members. Camping with more members with cots or sleeping bags may be created a spacing problem to sleep. In that situation, air beds can play a super role as they are capable to ensure a large sleeping space.
5. Out of Sag
Out of sag means you won’t experience surface slowly down after long use. Sagging isn’t a problem when your purpose is camping. But in terms of indoors, you need to be aware of it. In most cases, spring, foam bed, etc tend to be down at the area you will be sleeping for years. And that area of depression may have occurred other problems like hard feelings, uncomfortable, get-up issues, etc. In this case, the benefit of an air mattress is it stands strict to be sagged because of its durable materials and build quality.
6. Stable and Durable
Following the mentioned above, it comes with the character of stability and durability. The PVC and other high materials together made that mattress so durable. And that durability can fight against any leak and make it good for long-lasting. Additionally, many mattresses have the facilities of waterproof upper. So, camping or at home, you can get the advantages of little water-resistant. Again suede flock works as slip-free and holds the mattress in its fixed area. That means it has good stability. So, on a budget, a long-lasting sleeping bed you can get.
7. Easy to Operate
Who wants an easy and smart operating job? And here is the item that can fulfill those requirements. First of all, if you talk about storage and carrying then it is easy to carry and store. There provides a bag for easy transfer. Now, to deflate and inflate it takes only a few minutes. The process is very simple that is operated by a powerful built-in or rechargeable pump. The perfect inflation keeps the mattress firm for a long time. As a starter camping, those beds are quite effective as it saves both time and hard work. Furthermore, the mattress is easy if you want to clean it. This is because of the material. So, in the operating and maintaining sector, using it is a real worth.
8. Free from Odor
What do you expect from a new bed about odor? Surely most of those have a chemical smell in the first setup. But how it can be if that smell doesn’t disappear even after a long time of use? Many sleeping beds do the same job. For example, a memory foam mattress. But when you are with an air mattress then it won’t happen. Those items are made with PVC material and for that, you never face any nasty smell from it.
9. Low Spacer
What do you normally think about the so-called bed? Fixed a large space, unbox it, and then set it up. More storage space and time are required. But the picture is totally different when it turns toward the air mat. It doesn’t require much storage and setting process. On a camping trip, carrying isn’t a problem to have it because it is lightweight and easy to carry. Also in the tent, it fits well. So, it can tell an effective storage killer, can’t it?
10. Cool Feeling
In hot conditions, if you searching for a sleeping solution to keep yourself cool then using an air mattress may have the ability to do this. It will allow your body to take its cool temperature and ensure a cool feeling at night. When I was at Kentucky Horse Park for camping, my air bed did a great job in that hot season. So, on a low budget, you will have a tiny AC. Though it seems funny it’s largely true.
11. Adorable Price
And the last pleasing thing is it is available at a budget-friendly price. What about a normal bed or a foam bed? Yeah, those aren’t so much in price but the air mattress is even very cheaper than the others. It starts from $35 to $200 which is stronger in quality and well-known brands. You get different sizes for different prices. Under the 100 dollars bed, they are blasted ones. The brands offer a warranty too. So, who doesn’t give an upvote to it in the price segment as that smart bed offers many benefits in one?
Are There Any Disadvantages of Air Mattress?
Disadvantage or limitation is a common one to all things in the universe. Following that, air mattresses’s pros and cons both existed.
In the cons sector, air mattress has few breathed issues as it made of synthetic materials. Again in winter, using it can gift you a cool temperature that doesn’t desire. Some cheap products, aren’t so durable and have a chance to be leaked.
And those are the possible limitation you can be faced using it as a sleeping bed.
So, what are you think now? Are they usable for both camping and home? I hope your thinking is positive now. Don’t take stress about the little limitation, it can be minimized. Hope you are clear about the benefits of sleeping on an air mattress. Wish you a peaceful sleeping experience and say goodbye.
Question & Answers
Can you sleep every night on an air mattress?
It is generally possible to sleep every night on an air mattress, but it may not be the most comfortable or healthy option for long-term use.
Air mattresses are designed to be used as a temporary sleeping solution and may not provide the same level of support and comfort as a traditional mattress. Long-term use of an air mattress may result in discomfort or pain, especially in the back, shoulders, and hips. Additionally, the air mattress needs to be periodically re-inflated to maintain its firmness, which may not be convenient for long-term use.
If you are considering using an air mattress as a long-term sleeping solution, it’s important to consider factors such as the quality of the mattress and the firmness, size and features of the mattress to ensure it will meet your needs and promote adequate support for your back, joints and muscles. It’s also important to ensure the mattress is on a stable surface or bed frame.
Ultimately, it is important to choose a sleeping surface that is comfortable, supportive, and promotes good spinal alignment for long-term use. If you’re experiencing discomfort or pain after sleeping on an air mattress, it is recommended to consider a different sleeping surface.
How can I make my air mattress more comfortable for camping?
- Use a quality air mattress: Look for a high-quality air mattress that is designed specifically for camping, as these are typically more durable and better able to withstand the elements.
- Use a mattress pad or topper: Placing a pad or topper on top of the air mattress can help to add cushioning and support, making the mattress more comfortable.
- Inflate the mattress fully: Make sure to inflate the mattress fully to achieve maximum firmness and support.
- Use a frame or platform: Camping air mattresses are not as stable as a traditional bed, using a frame or platform underneath the mattress can make it more stable and easy to get in and out of.
- Use a sleeping bag: Sleeping on an air mattress can sometimes feel colder than sleeping on a traditional bed. To keep warm, use a good quality camping sleeping bag that is appropriate for the temperature of the region you are in.
- Test it out before trip: Test the air mattress at home, by setting it up and sleeping on it for a night, this way you’ll get a better idea of how comfortable it is and if you need to make any adjustments, like adding a mattress pad, before you leave for your camping trip.
- Always bring an air pump or electric pump, to inflate and deflate the mattress easily and efficiently, without relying on breath or manual pumps.
By following these tips, you may be able to improve the comfort and stability of your air mattress and have a better night’s sleep while camping.
What do you put under an air mattress in a tent?
When using an air mattress in a tent, it’s important to put something under the mattress to protect it from the rough ground and to provide a barrier against moisture and cold. There are several options you can use under an air mattress in a tent:
- Camping mattress pad: A camping mattress pad is a thin, lightweight, and durable pad that is specifically designed to be used with air mattresses. It will help to keep the mattress clean, protect it from punctures, and also provide insulation and cushioning.
- A tarp: A tarp is a waterproof, heavy-duty sheet of material that can be placed under the air mattress. This will help to protect the bottom of the tent from moisture, and also provide insulation.
- A ground cloth: A ground cloth is a thin, waterproof layer that you can place under the air mattress. This will help to protect the tent floor from moisture, and also provide insulation.
- Air Mattress Specific frames: There are frames specifically made to help air mattress maintain stability and prevent them from slipping around, you can use these frames inside your tent, it will help to keep the mattress stable and even provide extra space for storing things,
- Sleeping mat: Some people choose to use a sleeping mat, like a self-inflating camping mat or a closed-cell foam pad under the air mattress for added insulation, which helps to keep them warmer and more comfortable during cold nights.
It’s important to note that you should use a ground cloth or tarp to prevent moisture from penetrating the tent floor and to provide insulation. In addition, it’s important to make sure your air mattress is properly inflated, and that you’re using a good quality pad or topper for added comfort.
How do I keep my air mattress from sliding in my tent?
There are several ways to keep an air mattress from sliding around in a tent:
- Use a camping mattress pad: A camping mattress pad is a thin, lightweight, and durable pad that is specifically designed to be used with air mattresses. It will help to keep the mattress in place and prevent it from sliding around.
- Use a ground cloth or tarp: Placing a ground cloth or tarp under the air mattress will help to keep it in place, as it will grip the surface of the tent floor better.
- Use a sleeping mat: Some people choose to use a sleeping mat, like a self-inflating camping mat or a closed-cell foam pad under the air mattress for added insulation, which helps to keep the mattress in place and prevent sliding.
- Use Tent pegs or stakes: you can anchor the air mattress to the ground with tent pegs or stakes, this is particularly effective if you’re camping in windy conditions.
- Use Air Mattress Specific frames: There are frames specifically made to help air mattress maintain stability and prevent them from slipping around, you can use these frames inside your tent, it will help to keep the mattress stable and even provide extra space for storing things.
- Use tent-specific camping cots: Some cots have a built-in air mattress, these cots are designed to keep the mattress stable and help prevent sliding around.
It’s important to keep in mind that with any of these methods, it’s best to test them before you go on the camping trip, to make sure that the mattress stays stable and does not slide in your tent.
How do I keep my air mattress from deflating while camping?
An air mattress that keeps deflating while camping can be a frustrating experience. Here are a few tips to help keep your air mattress from deflating:
- Use a high-quality air mattress: Look for a high-quality air mattress that is designed specifically for camping, as these are typically more durable and better able to hold air.
- Use a repair kit: Always bring a repair kit with you when camping, so that you can quickly fix any leaks or punctures.
- Check for leaks before use: Before inflating your air mattress, check for any leaks or punctures, and repair them with a patch or glue before inflating.
- Top off the air regularly: Once you have inflated the mattress, check the firmness of the mattress every night and top off the air if necessary.
- Use a good quality pump: Make sure to use a good quality pump that is designed for inflating air mattresses, this will help prevent over inflation or too much pressure on the mattress, avoiding punctures.
- Keep the mattress protected: Try to keep the air mattress as protected as possible from rough surfaces or sharp objects, and place a mattress pad over the top of it.
- Check the valves: make sure that the valve is properly closed and tightened after inflating, also make sure that the valve is not clogged or damaged, otherwise the air might leak out through the valve.
By following these tips, you may be able to keep your air mattress from deflating while camping, and have a more comfortable and restful night’s sleep.